What Portsmouth Property Owners Need To Know About Rats
There is only one way to 100% guarantee rats stay out of your home, and that is to move to Antarctica. If you live on any other continent, you are out of luck. But, with a little bit of knowledge and effort, you can drastically reduce your home’s chances of a rat infestation. To help you better understand these invasive pests, here is everything Portsmouth property owners need to know about rats.
Some Facts About Rats
Rats are curious creatures with many accolades in the home-invading industry. To break down these furry invaders’ full portfolio today, here are eight interesting facts you should know:
- A female rat can have up to 20 babies at a time.
- Rats are incredibly intelligent and have been recorded disarming snap traps to consume the bait safely.
- Some rats can jump over a foot and are known for using tree branches and power lines to infiltrate homes.
- Rats have an amazing sense of smell.
- Rats did not directly transmit Black Death in Medieval Europe but did help spread it by transporting the fleas that did.
- An out of control rat infestation can cost homeowners up to $25,000.
- A rat’s jaw can exert up to 12 tons of pressure per square inch.
- A rat’s teeth are strong enough to chew through plastic, wood, vinyl, weak concrete, and aluminum.
The Problems Rats Cause Around Homes
Rats are extremely problematic pests and cause trouble around homes in many ways. For starters, they chew on everything. From the legs of furniture to your home’s walls, there aren’t much these pests will not gnaw on or chew through. If circumstances are right, rats will even chew through electrical wires, utility piping, and electronics.
In addition to destroying your home and property, rats are also a threat to you and your family’s health. As you might know, rats are synonymous with sewers, trash, and filth in general. This dirty behavior often leads to the picking up of disease-causing organisms. Some of the most common diseases these pests spread include salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, and lymphocytic choriomeningitis.
Some Ways To Prevent Rats
Rats find their way into homes in several ways. To deter these pests away from your Portsmouth and to seal your home’s exterior, here are a few prevention tips our experts recommend:
- Eliminate clutter and debris around your yard.
- Store woodpiles at least 30 feet from your home’s exterior.
- Trim back tree branches and bushes at least five feet from your home.
- Address damage to your home’s gutter system and make sure they clear of debris.
- Use a caulk gun and steel wool to fill in holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior.
- Fix broken weatherstripping, window/door screens, and door sweeps.
- Store leftover food into rodent-proof containers.
- Keep your home clean and do your best to keep clutter to a minimum.
- After feeding your pets, pick up and clean out their bowls.
What To Do When Rats Invade
Keeping rats out of a home is a lot easier than removing them after they come inside. If you are having trouble with these pests around your Portsmouth property, your best bet to get rid of them fast is to hire the experts at Pestout.
Our team is highly trained in rodent exclusion and eliminating tactics and has the industrial-grade equipment to handle these pests properly. Reach out to us by phone or through our website today for any questions about our services or scheduling a rodent inspection for your Portsmouth property.