How To Identify And Get Rid Of A Termite Infestation In Your Hampton Roads Home
Termites cause billions in property damage in the United States each year. The humid subtropical climate of Hampton Roads is perfect for termite breeding. If you're a homeowner in the area, it's vital to be proactive about termite control to prevent costly damage. In this article, we'll discuss the specific challenges of termite pest control in Hampton Roads and how to overcome them.
How To Identify Signs Of Termite Damage
Nobody wants to see termite damage in their home, but you should know what it looks like when you see it so you can take action. The most common type of termite in Hampton Roads is the subterranean termite. Below are some examples of termite damage you may spot in your house.
- Darkening or blistering wood
- Uneven or bubbling paint
- Buckling or sagging floors
- Hollow-sounding wood when tapped
- Pinpoint holes in drywall
- Windows and doors that become difficult to open or close
By identifying and treating termite damage as early as possible, Hampton Roads homeowners can help ensure that the birthplace of America continues to thrive for generations to come. A termite expert near you, like PESTOUT, can help you identify and treat termite damage before it becomes a problem. We are Hampton Roads' top provider of termite control services, including inspections and treatment.
How A Termite Infestation Starts
An infestation typically begins when a swarm of winged termites emerges from a mature colony to establish a new colony. The winged termites, called alates, are attracted to light and often swarm around windows and doors. Once they find a suitable location, the alates shed their wings and begin to mate. The newly mated queen starts a new colony by laying eggs, and the infestation grows. Left untreated, termites can damage homes and other wooden structures significantly. If the termites have invaded, don't hesitate to contact the professionals at PESTOUT to discuss termite treatment options for your home.
Removing Factors That Attract Termites
Termites in Hampton Roads can be a persistent and prolific pest that can cause a lot of damage to your home. But if you take steps to reduce the likelihood of attracting these insects, you can help prevent them from invading your property.
- Remove sources of moisture: Termites are attracted to moisture, so it's important to fix any leaks or standing water around your home.
- Remove sources of wood: Termites feed on wood, so it's important to remove any dead or decaying wood from your yard or near your home.
- Store firewood properly: If you store firewood outside, make sure it's at least 20 feet away from your home and off the ground.
- Use treated wood: If you're building a new structure or making repairs, use treated wood that is more resistant to termites.
- Seal cracks and crevices: Termites can enter your home through tiny cracks and crevices, so seal them up to prevent access.
- Maintain good ventilation: Proper ventilation can help reduce moisture levels and make your home less attractive to termites.
- Schedule regular termite inspections: Regular inspections can help detect potential problems before they become serious infestations.
- Reduce as many instances as you can of wood-to-soil contact on your property.
By taking these steps to remove the factors that attract termites, you can help protect your home from costly damage and maintain its value over time.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Termite Infestation
As a local family and veteran-owned company, PESTOUT is the best termite control company for your Hampton Roads home. Our friendly and knowledgeable technicians will do what it takes to get rid of the termite infestation in your home with the highest levels of safety and effectiveness.