Quick Tips For Pest Control
We’ve compiled our top tips to help you prevent pest infestations. Some of the tips are fairly simple and cost next to nothing to implement.
These are preventative steps you can take that will help prevent many different pests from entering your home. Still, none of this is a guarantee you’ll be pest-free, so if you still have a pest or rodent problem, call a professional for pest control and extermination. It’s always a good idea to do as many of the items listed below to ensure your home is pest free!
- Keep your house clean by using a disinfectant spray and cleaning up messes as they happen.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Take out the trash daily.
- Keep your outside trashcan away from your home and clean it twice a year, in Spring and Summer.
- Look for cracks or holes in your exterior and interior and seal appropriately with caulk, weather-strips or foam sealant.
- Store all food unless it’s in the fridge in airtight containers.
- Don’t leave food out.
- Keep all gutters and waterlines free of debris.
- Eliminate all standing water from around your home.
- Divert water away from your home.
- Keep your attic well ventilated, and make sure your crawl space remains dry at all times.
- Look for and fix any water leaks inside and outside your home.
- Don’t leave out pet food and clean pet dishes regularly.
- Repair holes in window and door screens.
To Prevent A Termite Infestation:
- Store firewood away from the house and at least 6 inches off the ground.
- Use treated lumber for any wooden structures on the ground.
- Use rubber mulch instead of wood mulch or keep mulch away from your home exterior.
- Remove any old stumps, roots or dead trees in the yard.
- Get your home inspected for termite activity yearly.
To Prevent Ants:
- Sweet pantry staples like sugar, honey and syrup should be stored in plastic containers that snap shut. Hint: Put a bay leaf inside canisters to repel ants and other pests.
- Check shampoo, lotion and soap bottles for drips and spills. Clean up if necessary.
- Sweep the floor after each meal.
To Prevent Bedbugs:
- Vacuum your suitcases after a trip; enclose them in a black plastic bag and put them in direct sunlight for several days.
- Check sheets for blood spots, a good indicator of bedbugs.
- Put your suitcase in a large plastic bag during your hotel stay.
- If you buy second-hand furniture including mattresses and box springs, inspect the pieces thoroughly for infestation before bringing in your home. You may want to contact a pest control company to inspect since bedbugs are so elusive.
To Prevent Rodents:
- Seal up any holes larger than the diameter of a pencil.
- Clear up the clutter since they can hide there by keeping areas clear and boxes off the floor.
- Inspect your drainage for adequate flow at the foundation of your house.
- Install or clean gutters to prevent mouse nests.
- Inspect your home for droppings, gnaw marks or damaged food goods.
To Prevent Fleas:
- Vacuum floors, carpets and furniture frequently.
- Wash bed linens at least once a week.
- Check pets’ coats for fleas, particularly after being outdoors.
- Wash pet bedding, toys and collars frequently.
- Bathe your pet after they play with other pets or after walks.
- Talk to your vet about flea prevention treatments.
These simple, yet effective, tips can be implemented easily to help prevent pests.
If you have a pest problem in Newport News VA or surrounding cities, call PESTOUT at (757) 251-0944.